E-MAIL LEITH-WALK.COM


SEARCH
Rose Street Map PLACES OF INTEREST PLACES TO SHOP ON LEITH WALK BARS AND RESTAURANTS LEITH HEALTH AND BEAUTY ON LEITH WALK TOURS & TRAVEL ACCOMMODATION ON LEITH WALK BUSINESS AND SERVICES ON LEITH WALK

 
NEWS
 

HISTORY PHOTOGALLERY MAPS LINKS SHOP ADVERTISE
PLACES OF INTEREST IN EDINBURGHS LEITH AREA

 
 

 

PILRIG CHURCH

Pilrig Church, on the junction of Leith Walk and Pilrig Street, first opened to the public in 1843 and was the second church in Scotland to be opened in connection with the newly formed Free Church. The building as it now was constructed in 1863 and was designed by Scottish architects Peddie and Kinnear in the French Gothic style.

All but one of the coloured glass windows in the church are by the Glasgow-born artist and designer Daniel Cottier (1837 – 1891) Cottier had also designed the ceiling – a blue sky design with gilt stars – but this was ruined in a fire which took place in the church in 1892.


Celebrated organ makers Forster and Andrews installed the church’s Historic Organ Certificate Award – winning pipe organ. In 1929 the United Free Church of Scotland joined with the Church of Scotland and later, in 1950 the congregations of Pilrig and Dalmeny Street churches united and the church was known as Pilrig and Dalmeny, but it became the church it is today – Pilrig St Pauls - when the further union took place with Leith, St Pauls Church.

 
  Places Of Interest Edinburgh Old Town  
 



Advertise on George-Street.com



HISTORY PHOTOGALLERY MAPS LINKS SHOP ADVERTISE


PRINCES STREET ROSE STREET GEORGE STREET STOCKBRIDGE ROYAL MILE NEW TOWN EDINBURGH OLD TOWN BRUNTSFIELD PLACE MORNINGSIDE EDINBURGH-PHOTOS EDINBURGH SHOP GRASSMARKET

MORNINGSIDE

Rose Street Map PLACES OF INTEREST PLACES TO SHOP ON LEITH WALK BARS AND RESTAURANTS LEITH HEALTH AND BEAUTY ON LEITH WALK TOURS & TRAVEL ACCOMMODATION ON LEITH WALK BUSINESS AND SERVICES ON LEITH WALK
EDINBURGH SITES

 

HISTORY PHOTOGALLERY MAPS LINKS SHOP ADVERTISE